The University of Michigan (U-M) privacy statement recognizes the value of privacy of the university community members and its guests.
This privacy notice provides more specific information on how the Get A Pencil Community’s website https://www.getapencil.org/ collects and processes your personal information.
How We Collect Information
We collect personal information in the following circumstances:
Direct Collection: when you directly provide it to us, such as when you complete user registration to participate in our SLO discussion forum.
Third-Party Collection: We partner with third-party advertising and marketing providers, such as Google Analytics, to automatically collect and store certain information about your visit. The information includes:
- The internet domain from which a visitor accesses the website
- The IP address assigned to the visitor’s computer
- The type of browser the visitor is using
- The date and time of the visit
- The address of the website from which the visitor has linked to https://www.getapencil.org/
- Content viewed during the visit
- Amount of time spent on the website.
What Type of Information We Collect
Direct Collection: We directly collect the following personal information:
- Contact information, such as your name, email address, occupation, etc.
- Submissions, such as your questions, comments, and interests.
When you access our website, cookies may be placed on your computer or device, depending on your web browser settings.
We use third-party advertising and marketing providers such as Google Analytics to automatically collect and store information about your visit. Information collected through these partners includes date/time of visit, pages viewed, time on pages/site, visitor location, visitor device information (device type, operating system, browser used), visitor language, visitor flow/navigation through site, visitor age, visitor gender, visitor acquisition (where they came from: direct, referral, social, paid search, organic search).
How Is This Information Used?
We use the personal information we collect to:
- Communicate with you by responding to your questions and requests for information in our dedicated forum.
- Monitor website performance and make improvements to site navigation and content based on user visits and interactions.
With Whom Is This Information Shared?
We do not sell or rent your personal information. We may share your personal information with:
- External service providers that support business activities. The key service providers we use are MailChimp, Google, and Qualtrics. We strive to ensure that these service providers keep your personal information secure and not use or share it for any purpose other than providing services on our behalf.
- Sharing of your information publicly is only done with your permission.
We may also share your personal information when required by law, or when we believe sharing will help to protect the safety, property, or rights of the university, members of the university community, and university guests.
What Choices Can You Make About Your Information
You may choose not to enter personal information into our website. You can change email and communication preferences by clicking on the Unsubscribe or Manage Your Preferences links at the bottom of any email from us and unchecking the relevant boxes.
Automated Collection: Cookies
We use “cookies” to enhance your user experience when visiting https://www.getapencil.org/. Cookies are files that store your preferences and other information about your visit to our website. When you access our website, the following cookies may be placed on your computer or device, depending on your web browser settings:
|Cookie Type||Purpose||Opt out|
|Google Analytics||Google Analytics cookies count visits and traffic sources in order to measure and improve the performance, navigation, and content of our website. See details about Google’s usage of cookies.||To block these cookies, download Google’s opt-out browser add-on. Alternatively, you can manage your browser settings to accept or refuse these cookies.|
Alternatively, you can manage your browser settings to accept or refuse these cookies.
Automated Collection: Social Media Plugins
How Information Is Secured
The University of Michigan recognizes the importance of maintaining the security of the information it collects and maintains, and we endeavor to protect information from unauthorized access and damage. The University of Michigan strives to ensure reasonable security measures are in place, including physical, administrative, and technical safeguards to protect your personal information.
Privacy Notice Changes
This privacy notice may be updated from time to time. We will post the date our notice was last updated at the top of this privacy notice.
Who to Contact with Questions or Concerns
If you have any concerns or questions about how your personal data is used, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or the U-M Privacy Office at email@example.com or 500 S. State Street, Ann Arbor, MI 48109.
Notice Specific to Persons within the European Union
Please click here for notice specific to persons within the European Union.